Email Senator Cantwell: Phone: (202) 224-3441 Fax: (202) 228-0514 Press releases
Email Senator Murray: Phone: (202) 224-2621 Fax: (202) 224-0238 Press releases
Email Rep. Kilmer: Phone: (202) 225-5916 News
Daily actions for the week of 5/17/2019
An action a day keeps the dictator at bay.
- Contact our members of Congress and tell them they must do everything possible to hold the current “president” to account. The current administration has announced they will not respond to any subpoenas and A.G. Barr claims the president cannot be investigated at all. Period. Recently partially unredacted court filings show that then candidate Trump told Rick Gates that damaging Wikileaks releases would be coming. Democratic-controlled House committees must get the unredacted Mueller report, plus other information that’s required by law. If you feel that the time for impeachment has come, tell our members of Congress.
- Contact Rep. Kilmer and tell him to become a co-sponsor of the “No President Is Above the Law Act,” introduced 5/10/2019 by House Judiciary Chairman Jerry Nadler (D-N.Y.) and Reps. Ted Deutch (D-Fla.) and Eric Swalwell (D-Calif.). The bill would “pause the statute of limitations for any federal offense committed by a sitting president.” Read about the bill here. The bill has not been assigned an “H.R.” number as of 5/17/2019.
- Contact Rep. Kilmer and thank him for co-sponsoring H.R. 9, “Climate Action Now Act.” The bill would require the President to develop and update annually a plan for the United States to meet its nationally determined contribution under the Paris Agreement on climate change. Specifically, the plan must describe steps to (1) cut greenhouse gas emissions by 26%-28% below 2005 levels by 2025, and (2) confirm that other parties to the agreement with major economies are fulfilling their announced contributions. But, trying to force this “president” is not enough. Tell Rep. Kilmer to co-sponsor H.R. 763, the “Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act of 2019,” which would impose a charge when the fossil fuel is extracted (resulting in higher fossil fuel energy prices, which would in turn reduce fossil fuel energy use) and reimburse people for the higher cost of fossil fuels. Canada has recently enacted similar legislation. It’s not so scary if Canada is doing it!
- Contact Rep. Kilmer and ask him to co-sponsor H.R.2712 the “Buy American Agriculture Act,” introduced 5/14/2019 by Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-Conn.) The bill would require that purchases of agricultural commodities made by the Secretary of Agriculture under the Food Purchase and Distribution Program be from domestically owned enterprises, and other purposes. The “purchases” are the way the Trump administration compensates farmers for his trade war. DeLauro was prompted to introduce the legislation when it was learned that JBS, the world’s largest meat-packing company and owner of a Colorado meat-packing subsidiary, has already received $62 million in U.S. taxpayer-funded payments, even though the company has actually increased shipments to China. JBS is owned by the Batista brothers, who have been jailed for bribing government officials and are not allowed to leave Brazil. Read about it here. U.S. taxpayers came close to “bailing out” Smithfield Foods, a Chinese-owned company, but that company rescinded its bid for bailout money after a backlash on Capitol Hill over the award.
- Contact our members of Congress and tell them “No War with Iran.” It became increasingly clear this week that John Bolton and others in the current administration want to start a war with Iran on the behalf of Saudi Arabia, no less. Read about Bolton’s long history of war-mongering here. Read about recent events here.
Questions / daily action suggestions? firstname.lastname@example.org