Email Senator Cantwell: Phone: (202) 224-3441 Fax: (202) 228-0514 Press releases
Email Senator Murray: Phone: (202) 224-2621 Fax: (202) 224-0238 Press releases
Email Rep. Kilmer: Phone: (202) 225-5916 News
Daily actions for the week starting 12/6/2019
An action a day keeps the dictator at bay.
- Call Rep. Kilmer and tell him you support impeachment of the current “president” for bribery and obstruction of Congress. Call our senators and tell them you support removing the current “president” from office because he has proven himself to be a danger to our democratic republic by inviting foreign assistance from Ukraine and China.
- Call our members of Congress and tell them to vote “no” on the National Defense Authorization Act if the reconciled version of the bill funds U.S. military action in support of the Saudis war with Yemen. The House version of this bill does NOT provide funds for the Saudis war, but the Senate version does, so the two bills are being reconciled. More info here.
- Call Rep. Kilmer and thank him for co-sponsoring H.R. 2474, the “Protecting the Right to Organize Act of 2019.” The bill would amend the National Labor Relations Act and related labor laws to extend protections to union workers. Although this bill has 217 co-sponsors, Speaker Pelosi has, so far, declined to bring it to the floor. Instead, she seems to feel it is more important to push for passage of the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) Act even though, according to labor union leaders, the USMCA in its current form lacks real labor enforcement mechanisms, which will further drag down wages. Pelosi seems to want to give “moderate” Democrats something they can claim to have gotten done. Instead of agreeing to a bad deal, “moderate” Democrats can run on the over 389 bills the current Congress has passed only to die in Mitch McConnell’s graveyard. Read about it here and here. Tell our members of Congress to vote “no” on the USMCA if it includes Interstate Dispute Settlement ISDS courts for any industry and does not have the strong labor and environmental protections for the U.S. and Mexico that labor and environmental leaders demand.
- Call Rep. Kilmer and tell him to vote “no” on the reauthorization of U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) if it does not include measures to resist and reverse loopholes in derivatives regulation won by big banks in the past and now being proposed by the Trump dministration. The CFTC now oversees many types of the credit default swaps that fueled demand for subprime loans, as well as the notorious interest-rate swaps that banks peddled to hundreds of local governments and school districts, who then paid billions just to exit the ighly unfavorable contracts. Despite overseeing financial instruments, for historical reasons the CFTC’s reauthorization has been handled by the House Agriculture Committee, whose members are now in receipt of donations from the American Bankers Association amounting to over $500,000 each. Read about it here. Yet another reason for campaign finance reform.
- Call Rep. Kilmer and thank him for co-sponsoring H.R. 3375, the “Stopping Bad Robocalls Act” and voting to pass it on Wednesday by a vote of 417 to 3. It aims to tackle robocalls in several ways, notably by requiring phone companies to verify where phone calls are coming from and let consumers block them at no additional cost. It would also boost the enforcement powers of the Federal Communications Commission and direct the Justice Department to convene a working group to make sure robocall violations are prosecuted. The bill specifically targets the so-called One Ring Scam, in which scammers dial from a fake phone number and let it ring once in a ploy to get the consumer to call back, often saddling the person with hefty fees for dialing a foreign line. It directs the FCC to come up with regulations to help protect consumers from this scheme within four months. Read about it here.
- Sign up for an Impeach and Remove Rally. The rally will be held the day before the House votes on whether to impeach the current president. Currently, there are three nearby rally locations: Waypoint Park, BI; Bremerton and Kingston. Plan to attend one of them.
Questions / daily action suggestions? firstname.lastname@example.org