Email Senator Cantwell: Phone: (202) 224-3441 Fax: (202) 228-0514 Press releases
Email Senator Murray: Phone: (202) 224-2621 Fax: (202) 224-0238 Press releases
Email Rep. Kilmer: Phone: (202) 225-5916 News
Daily actions for the week of 10/18/2019
An action a day keeps the dictator at bay.
- Call our members of Congress and tell them you support the impeachment of Donald J. Trump. The current president’s impulsive decision to green-light Turkey’s president Erdogan’s invasion of northern Syria has destabilized the region, will likely result in the deaths of thousands, will enable the reconstitution of ISIS, send thousands of Kurdish refugees into Europe (which Trump seems to know but doesn’t care about), will realign alliances in favor of Russia, put U.S. nuclear weapons in Turkey at risk, put our own troops at risk and may ultimately cause NATO to fracture. Donald Trump is not only dangerous to our democracy; he’s dangerous to European democracy as well as the democracy the Kurds had established thanks to President Obama’s policies. Read about it here.
- Call Rep. Kilmer and thank him for the House passing H.R. 3289, The Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act by a voice vote. This bill, introduced by Republican Representative Christopher Smith directs various federal departments to assess whether political developments in Hong Kong justify changing Hong Kong’s unique treatment under U.S. law. For whatever unknowable reason, our current “president” has been silent on the Hong Kong protestors’ determination to maintain independence from mainland China. It’s about time someone stood up. Call Senators Murray and Cantwell and tell them to co-sponsor S.1838, Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act of 2019 (the same bill as H.R.3289), introduced by Sen. Marco Rubio, presumably to give himself something to think about while not defending our own democracy. Read about the bill here.
- Call our members of Congress and tell them to write legislation preventing people from going to jail or losing their house from medical debt. In some states, such as Kansas, magistrate judges who have never taken a course in the law, can send people to jail for their medical debt. Read about it here. Medicaid debt can also cause a person to lose their home. Read about it here.
- Call Rep. Kilmer and tell them the current president’s insistence that the next G7 be held at his Doral Golf Course in Florida should be added to the articles of impeachment as a violation of the emoluments clause of the U.S. Constitution. Read about it here.
- Call our members of Congress and tell them to write legislation changing the way ambassadors are appointed. The U.S. Constitution says the president “shall nominate, and by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, shall appoint ambassadors …”. It also says “Congress may by law vest the appointment of such inferior officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the courts of law, or in the heads of departments.” It is time to stop awarding ambassadorships to high-dollar campaign contributors. Read about Trump’s record of nominating high-dollar contributors, such as hotelier Gordon Sondlund, to ambassadorships. Read about it here.
Questions / daily action suggestions? email@example.com