About Voices of the Majority. Previous posts: here. Updated 2/15/18.
Truly… Our thoughts and prayers are with the students, teachers and families in Florida.
But come on! There have already been over 12 school shootings in just the first 6 weeks of 2018! Can’t we as a society do something to move our country into the civilized world?!
Join us tomorrow between 4:30 and 6:30 at OfficeXpats.
We — as the Voices of the Majority — can:
- Contact our state representatives to push for passage of SB 5992
- Our state legislature is considering a bill to prohibit bump stocks, the dangerous device that the shooter in Las Vegas used to shoot more rounds at a higher speed. Bump stocks exploit a gap in federal law: machine guns are strictly regulated, but bump stocks, which make semiautomatic guns fire like machine guns, are unregulated. SB 5992 closes that gap.
- Write to Derek Kilmer and ask him to co-sponsor H.R. 3207
- This bill would close the “boyfriend loophole” and keep guns away from domestic abusers and stalkers.
- Call our senators and insist that they stop the “Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017”
- This bill is the NRA’s top legislative priority. It passed in the House of Representatives. It now awaits a vote in the Senate.
After Voices, amble down the street to attend a movie at Eagle Harbor Church at 7pm. From the Ashes, from National Geographic, captures communities across America as they wrestle with the legacy of the coal industry and its future under the Trump administration. The film goes beyond the rhetoric of the ‘war on coal’ to present compelling and often heartbreaking stories about what’s at stake for our economy, health and climate.
Here is a preview: https://www.youtube.